10.3.09

about life

X: Here! How's that?
Y: Wow, that's just a terrific snowman!
X: Yep, I think this is one of the nicest snowmen I have seen in a long long time.
Y: Yes, come on. Let's go home and eat. I'm hungry.
X: You can't go home!
Y: Why?
X: We can't leave the snowman here. I mean, what if he gets cold or hungry?
Y: He is a snowman! He can't get hungry like me.
X: Yeh, but you got hungry!.
Y: Oh, but ... I mean... he is not alive. He is made out of snow. See, there is a difference between things that are alive and things that are not. See, we are alive, we breath, we eat, we grow. But the snowman he does not do any of those things.
X: Are you sure he doesn't breath? I mean he has a mouth and a nose...
Y: Enough! He has a carrot that we have put on him as a nose.
X: Well maybe he breaths through his carrot?
Y: ...Oh...
X: Well, I don't know, I'm afraid he will get cold and lonely out here. Oh, I'm afraid he will be cold and lonely all by himself and then he will be sad. I don't want him to be sad. OK,OK, he does not feel sad or lonely, like we do. He does not have feelings! He is made out of snow. He can not get cold... but... the snow is cold!
Y: He does NOT have any feelings! He can not be lonely, sad or cold. He can not even feel if somebody touches him!
X: Oh, well. We'll just check that out. I think I'll tickle him. He'll feel that I'm sure (starts tickling)... Nothing. Maybe you are right.
Y: I know I am right. Now let us go home. I am getting hungry and I am cold.
X: O.K ...but... but... I can't leave him out in the cold!!! Oh, I can't leave you snowman!
Y: we just went all over that!
X: I know. I know he is just a snowman. He is not alive and he can't feel the cold. But he looks cold, and that makes me very sad...
Y: He is not coming home with us and that is final!
X: Alright, but... can we put at least something warm on him... I don't know... a hat or something.
Y: Well...alright, a lot of snowmen wear hats. But we do not have a hat...
X: Well maybe we could... eh... maybe, maybe...
Y: What are you doing!?!?!?
X: Maybe we can just loan him YOUR hat. Just like this!
Y: That is MY hat!
X: There, now his head looks so much warmer. But I still think he could use something like a... a scarf!!
Y: No, No, No! Oh, please do not...
X: Maybe you'd loan your scarf?? (takes scarf)
Y: Brr... I am cold!
X: Now he looks so much warmer. Now we can go home, OK?
Y: BRR... I do not believe this!
X: Oh, you shouldn't stay out here in the snow without your scarf and your hat. You get cold!
Y: (sneezes)
X: See, what I mean? Now come home!
source